Dental Implant Instructions
Make sure you have read: After surgery - Patient Instructions. In addition the following information is intended to help make your recovery comfortable and uneventful.
- There will sometimes be a metal healing cap protruding through the gum tissue; it looks like a shiny button and is normal. After 1-week you can gently swab the healing cap with a Q-tip dipped in Chlorhexidine antiseptic mouthwash before rinsing. Two times a day is fine.
- If a healing cap was not placed and you notice a shiny spot poking through the gum contact our office on the next business day. While this is not urgent, contact our office on the next business day for instructions.
- Pressure on the implant, during healing, can cause problems. Do not eat solid food in the area of implant placement until instructed. If you have a temporary appliance and it feels like it is hitting the implant make an appointment to have it adjusted. This can overload the implant and make it loose.
Notify the office if:
- Your medications do not relieve your discomfort
- If you develop a fever above 99.5F
- If you have any unusual swelling, uncontrolled bleeding or discharge
- If you develop any changes in vision, balance.