Sinus Grafting Instructions
Make sure you have read over our Patient Instructions for Surgery. This information will provide specific instructions for patients having a sinus graft prior to implant placement.
1. Start your antibiotics as directed (either morning of surgery or 3 days prior pending your doctors order)
2. Decongestants: Afrin, Claritin D relieve congestion. Use for 2-3 after surgery
For 3 days after your surgery, do NOT spit, smoke, rinse hard, drink through a straw, create a “sucking” action in your mouth, use a commercial mouthwash, drink carbonated soda, or use an oral irrigating device. Doing any of these can disrupt clotting, the healing process and open the incision.
For the next 8-10 days or until your sutures are removed:
- Bleeding may occur from the nose after your procedure. If this occurs, breathe through your mouth, and place pressure on both sides of the nose; remain in a quit sitting position until the bleeding stops.
- Do not blow your nose.
- Do not smoke or use smokeless tobacco.
- Do not take in liquids through a straw.
- Do not lift or pull on lip to look at sutures “stitches”.
- If you must sneeze, do so with your mouth open to avoid any unnecessary pressure on the sinus area.
- Do not lay on side of face or press on cheek over area of surgery
Notify the office if:
- You feel granules in your nose
- Your medications do not relieve your discomfort
- If you develop a fever above 99.5F
- If you have any unusual swelling, uncontrolled bleeding or discharge
- If you develop any changes in vision or balance
We’re Here To Help!
Call our caring staff with any questions or concerns!